Blog 125: The Blogs Are Back In Town

Monday, August 08, 2005

Ah, there she is, isn't it pretty? I'm here now, I made it alive and I have stories! It was a long, hot weekend, and I'm not talking about one of those steamy spring break escapades where college kids get drunk and hump everything. I'm talking about 100° in the desert with no AC. I'm talking about my car overheating while driving on flat pavement. I'm talking about Guatemalan Rebels with guns! Wait no. I'm not talking about that. Nevermind.

What did happen was I had the Lakeview Police looking for me. Yeah, see, I had an extra loveseat, stereo cabinet and television hutch that I was going to donate to the local thrift shop place. Well they technically don't take furniture items, as per the sign posted clearly on the outisde of the building. But it's one of those little laws that people disregard with a chuckle and do it anyway, such as littering, jaywalking and murder. Well it just so happens that on the one day that I really need to donate furniture God's own grandmother was there waiting, shaking her Slim Jim-like finger at us and making us take the furniture away. So we're back to square one: a truck that has useless furniture in the place where my boxes should be. So I hatch a plan. Armarna moved out of her house a few weeks ago and no one lives there. We drive up the alley behind the house and drop of the furniture in the back yard. No one would see us and it could be removed when The FriGG!! got back after the weekend. No sweat. So that's what we do. Carl and I remove the furniture and The FriGG!! stays behind to pack more.

A few hours later there's a call on the FriGG!! phone from FriGG!! mom saying that the cops were looking for us. A moment later a cop shows up at my old place telling me to remove the trash of be faced with a $2500 fine. He also mentioned that people were living in the house, they were friends of his and that they were pissed. Great. So we go and remove the furniture with the help of FriGG!! mom and her empty Jeep. The home owners weren't really that pissed, at least the wife wasn't. The husband wasn't there at the time, which was a good thing becasue apparently he's 6'6" and 320lbs and a firefighter. We dropped the furniture off at the dump and left from there.

The confusing thing to me was: how the hell did they find us?

The Facts: The FriGG!! wasn't there, no one knows Carl, we were in an unfamiliar truck, we were off the street where anyone could have seen us, I'm not well known in town and no one was around anywhere that we could see. So how did the homeowners know to call FriGG!!'s mom to get ahold of me through him? He wasn't even there! How did the cops know my first and last name? I don't know anyone in town and I've never been stopped by the police! How did they know where I lived? It's MADNESS!

Anyway, that was weird. Then it was 4 hours of driving a heavy car in the desert in 100° weather with no AC, as I mentioned, in a car that was overheating for no reason. Most likely a malfunctioning thermostat. Sweaty and tiring So we stayed in Madras at Carl's house for the night. AC, beers, food, showers and compfy leather furniture. It was delicious. Then up the next day for a comfortable and uneventful drive to Portland. Now I'm midway through moving my stuff in and I'm rested and fed and clean. And I'm home at last.

2 Comments:

Blogger Andy said...

"I may not be hooked back up to the sweet, juicy internet for a few days so there will be a period of dead air." nahuh i guess my idea of a "period of dead air" and yours differ. grats on escaping

2:10 PM  
Blogger lilmammal said...

Goddamn the Man!

8:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home