Blog 62: Magical Mystery Blog

Monday, April 04, 2005

Thoughts for today.

If we erase all traces of history, will it still be able to repeat itself?
I read an article today about a school in California that wants to remove Thomas Jefferson from the name of the school because Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.
Things like that make me cry sometimes.

It's just one in a hundred articles I've read about some PC nutjob trying to wring history through the filter of today's culture. Yes, he owned slaves. EVEYONE owned slaves back then! This is the same retarded debate as to whether or not the Ten Commandments should be removed from the earth, or God should be removed from the Pledge of Allegiance. It's as if we're afraid of our own history in this country! Sure, America doesn't exactly have the greatest track record; we practically purged the Native Americans, Slavery, women's suffrage, the civil rights movement, Japanese internment camps, racism, KKK, white supremacy, religious intolerance, political corruption, corporate corruption, the war on terror. The list goes on. But it still amazes me who often I hear about people trying to sweep that under the rug like it never happened. We're not a perfect country, and a true patriot should recognize that and be willing to admit that America and it's forefathers had faults instead of trying to convince the rest of the world, or themselves, that America has to be perfect or nothing they believe in makes sense. It's crap!

That's just m two bits anyway. Some would call me unpatriotic, it's a word that's thrown around a lot these days, mainly toward anyone who disagrees with the current administration's policies, but they're wrong about me. Yes, there are plenty of times that I wish I'd been born somewhere else, like Canada or New Zealand or The Moon, but I do love this country. I just mostly hate the people. I'm not unpatriotic, I'm just willing to admit that democracy isn't God's Own Government Model, I'm willing to admit that America isn't perfect and isn't the guaranteed best country in the world, and above all I'm willing to admit that we're not the most important people on the planet. Frankly people who hold that ideology of being born in America makes you better than everyone else on earth makes me sick. We're all people, we're all important, just because you were born here doesn't make you elite, it doesn't make you special and it doesn't give you the right to look down on poorer countries. America has plenty of poverty, it's getting worse all the time with the middle class fading away. Argh.

Before I turn this into a 5 page rant, I'll sum up and close.

Summary: 1. America has a shady history, we built this country on greed and lies and theft and murder. But we had "good intentions".
2. Patriotism isn't following blindly and without question whatever the President says.
3. Don't say "God Bless America" if you want to remove God from America. I'm not saying we should be a church state, I'm saying don't be a hypocrite. Besides, I doubt God wants anything to do with this country anymore. He's probably hanging out in Africa with the victims of genocide or the flood survivors in India. I'm sure he could care less about the War on Terror.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home