Blog 59: Open Blog Night

Thursday, March 31, 2005

Tonight was the first annual (Untitled) Open Mic Night, sponsored by the (Untitled) Tuesday Night Writer's Group of Lakeview. It went......well? Not a ton of people showed up, but one dude did walk in off the street to hear the smooth NIN stylings of the FriGG!! with his mellow guitar and Morrissey-esque vocals (?) (That's just how it sounded, it's a good thing Friggles.) Anyway, hopefully in a month or so there will be an encore and I'll actually play some songs that I wrote and not rip off other people who write better songs than me. I mean the point of an open mic is to showcase your talent, not other people's. Oh well, I liked the songs I sang (Demon by Guster, Lizzy by Ben Kweller and Delicate by Damien Rice, if you care) and I did read 5 original poems by me, so I guess I didn't fake it the whole night. Plus FriGG!! and I are getting our names and possible pictures in the paper, next up, WORLD TOUR! The paper offered us free publicity and help in getting some door prizes for next time so we're kinda stoked about the possibilities.

In other exciting news, Subter Issue 3 goes live on Saturday, expect a post about it and threats on your lives if you don't visit and read stuff there. Some of my photos and a sample of my column will be there. I'm happy. I'm listening to The Cure. And I'm going to bed.


P.S. I just spell checked this post and Blogger's dictionary doesn't contain the word "Blog" but it does have "Morrissey". How's that for irony?

1 Comments:

Blogger Jacob Hammond said...

Purty cool. Of course, I am not at all surprised that Lakeview decided to sprout some culture after I moved away from there. It's a pity; that would have been cool.

Ashland has a pretty good coffee-shop scene. I've been to a couple of open nights but mostly there are just people whining about politics, which are all well and good, but variety is even better.

2:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home